Consumer expectations have changed over the years, and now more than ever before, people are expecting more from brands. They don’t just want a discount on products – they are craving information, personalization, and relevant content that fits their specific needs.
But what is content marketing, exactly? Content marketing is a type of marketing that involves the creation and sharing of online material (such as videos, blogs, social media posts, etc.) that does not explicitly promote a brand but is intended to stimulate interest in its products or services.1 This approach is strategic, effective, and comes across in a more authentic way to consumers. Many top companies are using this style of marketing in order to reach new audiences and to show consumers they aren’t just a brand trying to sell them a product – they are also a useful resource.
So whether you sell pickup trucks, bucket/boom trucks, or any other type of commercial vehicle, you might be wondering, “what exactly can content marketing do for my business?” Glad you asked. Let’s dive into 5 overall advantages of content marketing:
1. Builds Brand Awareness – Now more than ever before, customers are researching extensively online before making purchases – both large and small. They crave information and by you creating relevant content, you’re not only meeting their needs, but elevating your brand to a higher level in the process, and who doesn’t want that? When creating content, you have the power to tell your brand’s story and showcase what makes your business unique. It also gives you the opportunity to position yourself, and your business, as an expert in the industry – subtly gaining trust with a consumer before they walk through your front doors to buy something.
2. Cost-Effective – There are all different kinds of marketing methods, but that fact is, consumers are becoming less receptive to in your face sales advertisements; with 71% of readers say they were turned off by content that seems like a sales pitch.2 Don’t get us wrong, those type of ads can still work, but they typically cost A LOT more than content marketing. In fact, content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates about 3 times as many leads.3 Time is certainly the biggest investment of content marketing because creating high-quality content isn’t always quick and easy, but the rewards are worth it – trust us.
3. Increases SEO – “Just Google it” has become a common phrase we hear on a daily basis because we use search engines for just about everything these days. In fact, 93% of all buying decisions start with an online search.4 So when a consumer searches for something relevant to your business, are you showing up in the first few spots of the rankings? Good content (educational, relevant, unique, not overly self-promotional) can help heighten your organic search rankings, ultimately driving more traffic to your website. It is important to note, search engine algorithms are constantly changing but if you continue to produce new and relevant content, your website will rank higher than other dealerships that don’t invest in a content strategy.
4. Feeds Your Social Strategy – If you’re not on social media, it’s time to join the bandwagon considering 90% of marketers consider social media marketing to be important to their overall marketing strategy.5 The great thing about content is that it doesn’t have to live in just one place (your website). Content can also help build and strengthen your social media strategy. If you’re not sharing engaging content on social, you’re not going to have an audience. On the other side of the coin, if you’re creating content your followers care about, they are more likely to like, comment, and share your posts – getting more eyes on your brand.
5. Builds Deeper Customer Relationships – You are already an authority in your field – there’s no doubting that. Why not share the knowledge and expertise you have with your visitors? Content marketing is a great tool that can help you build trust and loyalty with potential buyers. Even if a consumer is just starting their research, they are more likely to buy from a business they have built some kind of relationship with – even if it’s just online. This “relationship” can be as simple as reading your blog or watching the videos you produce over time. These customer relationships can result in leads, and when these consumers are ready to buy, your dealership will be top of mind.
Creating content is an essential component of any digital marketing strategy, and 78% of CMOs believe custom content is the future of marketing.6 The time is now to leverage content marketing for your business and we’ll show you how to do it. We’ve previously written about Developing Provoking Content and How to Be a Better Content Marketer. In a future post post, we will be covering how to create relevant content and how to build your content marketing strategy – stay tuned.
About the Author
Emily is a Content Curator for Trader Interactive, serving the recreational brands RV Trader and Cycle Trader. She strives to provide dealers with practical insights they can use to help reach their business goals.